Well, as promised my first posting is my new favorite movie quote, I got it from Martian Child with John Cusack. It is a cute movie about a little boy who John's character adopts, this little boy thinks he is from Mars. This quote is the last thing that is said in the movie and I think it fits for all kids....."Sometimes we forget that children have just arrived on the Earth, they are a little like aliens coming into being as bundles of energy and pure potential. Here on some exploratory mission and they're just trying to learn what it means to be human."
This has helped me to look at my own little "aliens" a little differently. Things that I have experienced my whole life are so new and amazing to them. It really made me stop and think that I rush through life and don't enjoy things the way we are meant to. One example is Austyn, when we walk to pick up Macayla we always pass by a patch of weeds that have white flowers on them, Austyn always wants to stop and pick one. Of course I just try to rush her because they are just weeds and we need to get Macayla. I forget that she is only 2 1/2 and that this may be the first time that she remembers seeing white flowers and what an exciting thing. Why not stop and pick some with her. Where has my enthusiasm for life gone.....I should be able to stop and explain what they are and enjoy life with my kids. When they ask questions should I just give them a quick answer or really talk to them about whatever they are questioning? I want to show my children what a wonderful world we really have and what amazing things are out there. Let's all try to enjoy life a little more....
Monday, May 5, 2008
Our little aliens
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









2 comments:
Hi Hunts!!!!
I so enjoyed your view on life and can relate, I wish I would have been more attentive when my kids were growing up. Keep up the good work, your a great mom. I really miss you here in the Kingsland ward. I have very few friends left.
I get the same way. I love the saying that life is meant to be enjoyed, not just endured! I have to remind myself of this OFTEN! Because I often find myself just trying to get through the day instead of enjoying my day! It's something I really have to work at!
Post a Comment